Pages

Friday, July 16, 2010

Prime Ministerial Stuff....

Okay, so I missed yesterday. Sorry 'bout that. The day started okay, but then from about 11am onwards it spiralled into a succession of meetings which didn't end until 8.30 last night. By which time, under the Chatham House Rules regarding meetings, I'm not permitted to post anything in public. (That, at least, is my interpretation of the CHR's. I got it from quality radio station 2UE)

And it's a pity, because yesterday morning, the minister for Arts, The Environment, poorly synched videos, dressing gowns, bandanas and Silly Dancing, Peter Garret (MHR) announced the shortlists for the Prime Ministers Literary Awards, including - as I talked about the other day - the contenders for both the children's and Young Adult categories. (I for one was both surprised and a little bit sad not to see Jasper and Abby and the Great Australia Day Kerfuffle make the list. Clearly when this particular government knifes you in the back, they do it wholesale...)

Still, aside from this obvious oversight, I'm thrilled at the names on the lists, and will be waiting with interest to see who makes it to the winner's podium.

I'll also be embarking on filling a few holes in my reading, once I get my reading for the ACT Book of the Year out of the way.

I'm particularly looking forward to reading the YA list (and it shames me to admit that at the moment, I haven't read a single one of the titles which made the list, though I do have Jarvis 24 (By David Metzenthen), Stolen (Lucy Christopher), and The Museum of Mary Child (Cassandra Golds) sitting on the shelves in my office, in my 'To Read' pile. But first I Must. Read. The. BOTY. Candidates....

Still, it's just a pleasure reading the list, seeing so many of my writing friends and colleagues names appearing on it, and feeling like my field of writing is getting some real high profile national acknowledgement by the wider literary community, for the first time in, well, forever.

So congratulations to all the shortlisted writers, in all the categories, but especially to those who've made these inaugural children's and YA lists. I'm delighted for you all, and couldn't hope to see a better bunch of names up there representing our little world.

FTW - all of you.

1 comment:

  1. Museum of Mary Child is such a wonderful book. Read it post-haste.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin