Pages

Thursday, August 13, 2009

This is my life, at the moment...


Editing. At the same time the best and worst aspect of getting a book published. This one's particularly painful, owing to the fact that it's a first draft and, therefore, horribly written. I'm cringing on a page-by-page basis as I work through this one, knowing that I've actually let people read this poorly written crap.

And, unusually for me, it's taking me ages. Today, for example, I've been working since about 9.30, and only done 10 pages. (Admittedly I've had a couple of interruptions for student meetings and coffee and other essentials) But still - given that the book is 250 pages long, and is expected back at UQP next monday, this is not good.

Plus there's the added bonus of not getting anything else written while I'm buried in this. Next week's lecture, on verse novels, for example, or the two books I'm desperately itching to get on with.

Still, the end result should be okay. As badly written as this draft is, I'm pretty happy with the way it's shaping up. It's kind of like the book version of one of those awful Extreme Makeover shows. (Though if I carry that metaphor to its logical extension, I might end up with a novella, or even just a short story)

Anyway, I just wanted to share.

Now, I'm going back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin