Pages

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

This morning I sat for my first job interview since 1994. (Which, co-incidentally, is why I haven't managed to get much up in the blogging department during the last week or so...)

I have no idea how it went.

But I can share some advice on how not to kick off an interview:

***

Interviewer A: So, Tony, thanks for coming in. Can you start by telling us why you're interested in this position?

Me: Three reasons - firstly, because I feel I'm uniquely qualified for... actually four reasons, come to think of it. Firstly because... Oh God, this just turned into the Monty Python Spanish Inquisition thing, didn't it? I'm sorry...

(Then ramble for the next two to three minutes, covering god knows how many peripheral and only vaguely related issues before wrapping up with:)

Interviewer A: So, did you cover all four reasons? I can't remember.

Me: Me either.

***
Okay, so I was nervous. I wish I could say this didn't happen, or that I was exaggerating. On the bright side, the interview only improved from there...

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin